Guided Home-Study | Online Private Tuition
Course methodology is modelled on one-to-one teaching at the Humanities Division of the University of Oxford.
Students and alumni say that private tuition is the most powerful element of our courses because it motivates, inspires, and leads to a lasting understanding of the use of English.
Why study philosophy?
Philosophy questions assumptions about the world regarding issues such as the health of society, human rights, limits to knowledge, ethical values, education, and duty to posterity.
Other philosophical enquiry concerns concepts such as democracy, justice, freedom, equality, selfishness, whether the mind is distinct from the body, and personal identity.
Stronger reasoning skills will enable you to think beyond the facts and gain a professional and academic advantage that you can put to excellent use at work and elsewhere.
Philosophy applies to the workplace where critical reasoning and analysis provide balance to troubleshooting, project management, policy making, and teamwork.
Enterprises value philosophical counsel on policies and decisions that affect manufacturing, marketing, advertising, media production, journalism, IT, ethical conduct, education, sport, public service, general management, finance, research, and human relations.
This short video shows philosophical reasons why business strategy might need a rethink:
Each English with Philosophy course is a voyage of discovery designed to open your mind to new and exciting ways to look at the world:
We offer sixteen-week courses in English with Philosophy, as visionary journies to open the mind to new and exciting ways in which to look at the world.
At present, there are seven courses:
- Republic by Plato
- Nicomachean Ethics by Aristotle
- Philosophy from Descartes to Kant
- The Philosophy of Religion
- Epistemology and Metaphysics
- Philosophy and Politics
- Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein.
We can provide other courses at your request and add them to this list.
Guided home-study delivers private tuition to address your personal learning needs.
Oxford-style teaching provides what you need to study English with Philosophy.
You choose a topic from a list of major philosophical doctrines, drawn up by your tutor.
A topic forms the basis for eight guided home-study assignments and eight online private tutorials over a period of sixteen weeks.
We support each study assignment with associated online reading and AV lectures by today’s leading thinkers, who present their ideas on the issues raised by each topic assignment.
As you engage at your own pace with this fresh information, you will understand the key arguments and prepare an academic essay to present to your tutor during a scheduled online tutorial.
Your essay script forms the basis for this online dialogue with your tutor, who will first focus on your use of English and explain how to avoid repetition of any errors.
Your tutor’s critique of your essay content will challenge as necessary your treatment of issues inherent in your essay subject and encourage you to defend your argumentation and debate whether you can arrive at common ground.
This teaching will stretch your capacity to work in English to construct reasoned argumentation that supports your values and beliefs, even when you face strong opposition.
Our tutors are Oxford graduates who understand the university’s unsurpassed teaching and apply it to your guided home-study and online private tuition.
The benefits of private tuition
- Private tuition addresses your unique needs as a student of English with Philosophy.
- Your tutor will tailor every aspect of your safe and student-friendly guided home-study.
- Private tuition addresses missing language skills and builds on existing strengths.
- Tailored guided home-study addresses your use of English and your philosophical ideas.
- Guided home-study, drawn up by your tutor, includes free reading and AV lectures.
- New reading and writing skills will deepen your critical analysis and understanding.
- You will learn to express ideas constructively and forcefully, to your professional benefit.
The importance of writing
Tutorial writing tasks are central to our Oxford-style teaching for several reasons:
- Written work displays your current ability to communicate in English.
- Scripts reveal your strengths and weaknesses when writing in English.
- Your tutor will provide you with corrections, comments, and advice to avoid errors.
- Your scripts provide a basis for instructive and constructive online private tuition.
- Writing develops a lasting and practical understanding of the subject.
- Essay writing is the best way to refine your use of advanced English beyond the levels set out in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, (CEFRL)
- Forming and adhering to a revised and fresh group of beliefs and values based on philosophical reasoning promotes intellectual capacity to stand out in the crowd.
English with Philosophy 2020 courses are secure, climate-friendly, and user-friendly.
Time management makes life relaxed and satisfying rather than difficult and stressful.
When you decide to study with an English with Philosophy 2020 Online Course, click on the picture for reassurance and help with time management.